Friday, August 13, 2010

Zebras Don't Change, and Stripes Don't Change, but I Do






These days, I like stripes. I used to possess a mild dislike towards them, which is a strange expression because how can I dislike TOWARDS something when dislike is a non-physical phenomenon and "towards" requires a direction, such as North. I wonder what direction stripes would be in. East? Yeah, East and West, since stripes go side to side. But then I suppose stripes can go up and down too, right?


ANYWAY, the point is that I used to find stripes generally unappealing, on clothing, curtains, and everything else. I liked a few kinds of stripes, like pinstripes, but not until a couple years ago did I like stripes in general. And I didn't change my opinion based on any merits of the stripes themselves. The stripes bring along an emotional association. For better or worse, they remind me of Shugo Chara (a gorgeous series in most aspects up till a point). The main character wore stripes and made them cute, postively anime adorable. More recently, stripes have reminded me of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, which was darkly beautiful visually although it was only okay story-wise. I now have trouble remembering what I found so unsightly about stripes, although I probably could if I tried, and I understand immediately if anyone says they don't like them. I don't know how long stripes have been in style, or what type of appeal they had, gothic or what. I suspect they've been in since Tim Burton became popular, but I don't care if I'm late. The fact is they used to be tacky and now they're cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment