Sunday, August 8, 2010

Remember Facts?






Remember I said that you should look at examples of emotional health to sustain your own emotional health? Well, I'd like to show a couple examples of emotional health I look at sometimes.

I enjoy watching ClevverTV and its two hosts, Dana and Joslyn, as they report on celebrity news. Dana and Joslyn are frank but never mean, even when talking about clearly despicable people or actions. They seem sincere, enthusiastic, and confident. When they interact with each other, on Girl Talk segments and such, they seem just as sincere, confident, comfortable, and secure in themselves. What I like best, though, is that they're on Youtube, so like all Youtube people, they must deal with the Mean Comments. Some people make mean comments about Dana and Joslyn, some make mean-horrible-vulgar comments about the subject matter or celebrity, some make mean comments to other commenters, and some make mean comments in general. But Dana and Joslyn just keep on truckin', video after video with smiles on their faces like it doesn't phase them. I am often told not to worry about the trolls or the Mean Commenters. They just want to cause trouble. Still, the mean comments hurt just to look at. But here are two women who really don't seem to care, and I know they read some comments because they reply sometimes. I was a bit scared of starting a blog because of the comments I might get. People are mean more openly and to greater degrees on the internet than in real life, and I don't want to be confronted with that. (I keep trying to stop reading Youtube comments, but it's harder than it sounds. I plan to do a post on that later.) It's disturbing. A couple years ago, before I saw ClevverTV or other healthy Youtube people, I only saw people who didn't respond to mean comments or people who were just as mean back. I couldn't exactly blame them. I didn't know how they could deal with it, or WHY they'd get on Youtube at all. I couldn't imagine anyone not caring about the mean comments until I saw Dana and Joslyn. It helped me to imagine myself not caring.







I also enjoy watching Xsparkage because, not only does she come up with fun makeup looks, but she also seems so sweet and genuine. She, too, has to deal with mean comments, but she always seems profoundly nice, even for a makeup artist. (All makeup artists seem so nice, friendly, outgoing, and well-adjusted. Why is that? It's awesome. I'd choose a career as a makeup artist just to get that personality, but I'm not sure it works that way.) In this video, she responds beforehand to negative comments she might receive about the makeup look. Now, this is tricky, because the kind of comment she responds to is not the kind of comment that would come from someone just trying to make her mad. It's the kind from someone who actually cares about the video, the look, and the character. Xsparkage responds to it with a sense of humor AND respectfulness. She ALSO addresses people who merely comment to hate on a book and its fans, and she addresses them respectfully too. Bravo, Xsparkage! She also seems smart, as she says in another video that she realizes Twilight isn't the greatest literary work, but she likes it anyway. This is brilliant for someone who's not me! She likes something but also sees its faults. I'm not a big fan of Twilight. It's alright, and that's a balanced opinion. It's nice to find someone else with a balanced opinion, who knows it has problems but can like it anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment